The agenda for the special meeting of Fullerton’s Library Board of Trustees at the Hunt Branch Library on Saturday, May 5, 10:00 a.m. at 201 S Basque Ave, Fullerton, CA 92833 has been released, and reproduced above. It can be reached online at this link:
and it suggests that the Library Board is exploring every option except selling the Hunt Branch building, beginning with establishing the intent of the original gift itself by examining the grant deed, appended to the agenda (the first page is reproduced below).
Next, the board will discuss renegotiating the month-to-month lease on the closed Hunt library currently held by neighboring Grace Ministries International, suggesting that the board is either contemplating a recommendation to end the lease, or, at least, raise the lease rate beyond the pitiful amount the church is currently paying for it each month.
Most importantly, the third item makes it clear that the board is serious about re-opening the Hunt as a library by discussing a formal request to the city to finally provide adequate funds to do so.
A discussion about community partnerships follows, but it is the fifth item that reveals the disposition of the board–seeking legal representation, presumably to prevent the sale of the site.
1. Define the intent of the gift of Hunt Library. – Library Director Judy Booth Recommendation: Discuss
2. Renegotiate the lease of Hunt Library to Grace Ministries International. – Library Director Judy Booth Recommendation: Discuss
3. Formally request the City Council to appropriate funds to operate the Hunt Library as a branch library. – Library Director Judy Booth
4. Consider possibility of partnering with community organizations at Hunt Library – Library Director Judy Booth
5. Library Board of Trustees and outside legal representation – Library Director Judy Booth Recommendation: Discuss
6. Schedule further meetings about Hunt Library at Hunt Library – Library Director Judy Booth Recommendation: Discuss
The full pdf of the gift deed can be found at this link:
If the board is willing to stand up to city council members who want to sell of the property for a quick buck, the public should be there to support them. Please plan to attend this meeting at the Hunt Branch Library, 201 S Basque Ave, Fullerton, CA 92833. Board members will be available to answer public questions and tour the site.